pre-made store bought pie crust
2 lobster tails
½ stick of butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. thyme
salt and pepper
For mac ‘n’ cheese filling
4 cups dried macaroni
4 tbsp. of butter (½ a stick)
4 tbsp. flour
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup gruyere
½ cup sharp cheddar
½ cup mozzarella
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the bacon weave:
8 slices bacon
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
For the Lobster Tails:
1. Carefully remove lobster tail meat from shells.
2. Slice the top of the tails starting from top to bottom length wise but be sure not to slice all the way through. Place a 2’’ inch wide stick of butter in between the slice of each tail. Sprinkle on minced garlic and thyme
3. Heat a medium saucepan or skillet to medium heat. Place skewer length wise into lobster tail. Place tail butter side down onto skillet and cook 3-5 minutes. During the cooking process baste tails with excess butter in pan. Flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
4. Remove, let cool, then dice.
For Mac ‘n’ Cheese Filling:
1. Boil pasta in generously salted water until just al dente, following directions on package.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter. Then stir in the flour. Whisk to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Now you’ve got what is called a “roux” — equal parts butter and flour cooked together. Add the cream and whisk again, let cook, whisking occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until it thickens. Now you’ve got béchamel sauce.
3. Add all the cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Add macaroni to cheese sauce. Once combined, stir in half of your lobster meat and set half aside.
For the Bacon Weave:
***NOTE: It is best to make the bacon weave SEPARATE from the pie. If you add the raw bacon over the pie the pie will absorb too much grease. Cook bacon weave separately and place over pie once pie is cooked. (we made this mistake the first time around)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lay 6-8 strips of bacon vertically across a rimmed baking sheet or aluminum foil, flush up against each other.
3. Prepare another 6-8 strips to create the cross section of the weave.
4. Fold every other strip in half onto itself. Now fold every other strip in the alternating columns. Repeat again with the first set of strips.
5. Once you have your weave finished brush with brown sugar, place in oven on baking mat, and cook until crisp.
6. Once cooked, remove and cut out a circle (we recommend you use your pie dish as a reference) that matches size of the top of your pie. Set aside.
To Assemble Pie:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Carefully drape pie crust over pie dish.
3. Fill the pie with the lobster mac ‘n’ cheese. Top with additional lobster.
4. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until pie crust is cooked and golden brown.
5.Remove. Lay bacon weave cut out on top of pie.
6. Serve immediately and enjoy!
from An Adventure with Food http://adenoffood.tumblr.com/post/161429858788
from Tumblr http://0foodphotography.tumblr.com/post/161430151837