- 1 pizza dough (recipe: Whole Wheat Pizza Dough or try Overnight Pizza Dough by Good and Cheap)
- ½ pound beef or pork
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon fennel
- ⅛ teaspoon sage
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 package frozen spinach, chopped = 1 cup thawed/cooked and chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese - try cheddar, crumbled feta, pepperjack, etc., OR ricotta!
- Brown the ground beef/pork and season with the salt, fennel, sage, cayenne powder/red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Add the chopped frozen spinach and stir until thawed and combined Mix with the meat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. If the pan is dry, melt ½ Tablespoon of butter (or use a little oil) and add the eggs. Scramble over low heat until the eggs are mostly cooked. It’s okay if they’re just a bit gooey still because they’ll cook again in the oven.
- Mix together the meat & spinach & onions with the eggs and 1 cup cheese.
- Divide the pizza dough in half and place half aside, keeping it covered. Divide the working half into 12 even balls. Roll each out - much thinner than pizza dough. Fill with almost ⅛ cup of the filling, then pull the dough closed. Use a little water around the edge to help it seal, then seal the edge by pressing a fork around the edges. Repeat until all calzones are formed.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake on 500ºF for about 12 minutes, or until the top is browned.
from An Adventure with Food http://adenoffood.tumblr.com/post/139429449448
from Tumblr http://0foodphotography.tumblr.com/post/139429966202