lunes, 25 de abril de 2016

tango-mango: The inspiration for last night’s dinner of shrimp...


cooking on the grill





tango-mango:

The inspiration for last night’s dinner of shrimp marinated in pesto and then skewered and grilled:

  1. We have more basil than I know what to do with, so I scratch my head trying to figure out how to use it in every meal.
  2. I found out there is a real possibility I will need to wear a swim suit days on end in a couple of months, so we are eating lean!
  3. The first few sweet, cherry tomatoes are ripening, so it was necessary they were included in this meal.

While looking for ways to use pesto, I found many cooks use it as a marinade for shrimp. I had never thought of that before, but I figured two of my favorite foods would marry well together. Last night I decided to give it a try.

I marinated the shrimp for an hour or so in some pesto and then skewered them on metal skewers. (If you use wooden ones, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use.) I put them on a hot grill, lowered the cover, and then immediately turned the grill down to medium. After about 3 minutes I turned them, and let them cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until they were done. (Different size shrimp require different cooking times.)

In the meantime, I had created a green salad and tossed it with a simple vinaigrette. To serve, I spread the salad onto a platter, and placed the shrimp on the salad. (They remained on the skewers only while I took some fast pictures.) Lemon wedges were liberally sprinkled along side.

This was an amazing meal that we’ll enjoy again and again this summer. The leftover shrimp were thrown in a plastic bag with the remaining lemon wedges. I ate a few straight from the refrigerator this morning, and they were just as good!

Too much basil, an opportunity to travel, and sweet, vine ripe cherry tomatoes – not too bad at all.



from Beautiful Pictures Of Healthy Food http://beautifulpicturesofhealthyfood.tumblr.com/post/143371601305
from Tumblr http://0foodphotography.tumblr.com/post/143371999112
via IFTTT

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario